Springbok wing JP Pieterson has been named at outside centre for the Sharks match up against the Reds this weekend. The sharks have been hit by an astounding amount of injuries, the latest to Frans Steyn necessitating the move for Pieterson. Coach John Plumtree has put their last two losses on tour down to missed opportunities, but it must eb said that winning in New Zealand with a B team was always going to near impossible.
“We have worked really hard on attack, and it hasn’t been easy losing personnel and with the combinations continually changing. That makes life difficult for us, but the boys have gone out there and looked to play adventurous rugby, playing with ball in hand and building up some real pressure on the opposition,” said Plumtree.
“People who know rugby will see that, but ultimately we didn’t get the results. They just haven’t gone our way.”
- Willem Alberts returns from injury on the bench
- Jean Deysel returns to the starting 15 at blindside flank
- Captain Keegan Daniel shifts to his preferred no. 8 position in Place of Tera Mtembu
- Mtembu is sent back to South Africa through a injury and Coetzee shifts back to openside
- Wiehahn Herbst starts ahead of Springbok prop Jannie Du Plessis
- Ex-Lions captain JC Janse van Rensburg will start at loosehead
- Plumtree opts for a five/two split (forwards/backs) on the bench
SHARKS TEAM:15. Riaan Viljoen, 14. Piet Lindeque, 13. JP Pietersen,12. Meyer Bosman, 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 10. Patrick Lambie, 9. Charl McLeod, 8. Keegan Daniel (captain), 7. Jean Deysel, 6. Marcell Coetzee, 5. Franco van der Merwe, 4. Pieter-Steph du Toit, 3. Wiehahn Herbst,2. Kyle Cooper, 1. JC Janse van Rensburg.
Replacements: 16. Monde Hadebe,17. Jannie du Plessis, 18. Anton Bresler, 19. Derick Minnie, 20. Willem Alberts, 21. Tian Meyer, 22. Odwa Ndungane.