Chiefs coach Dave Rennie has either targeted the game against the Waratahs to rotate some of his squad, with one eye on the business end of the competition, or is making changes as a response to his sides home loss to the Reds.
- Richard Kahui shifts in from 13 to 12
- Brendon Leonard starts at scrumhalf
- Charlie Ngatai joins Kahui in the midefield as Tim Nanai-Williams drops to the bench
- 2013 revelation Gareth Anscombe is relegated to the bench
- Fullback Anscombe is replaced by Andrew Horrell
- Center Bandi Aki is out of the match 22 altogether
- Fritz lee comes in to play no 8, as Liam Messam moves onto the flank
- There is also a return for Pauliasi Manu in the front row, as he replaces Toby Smith
- The Chiefs have only beaten the Waraths once in Super Rugby history!
Chiefs: 15. Andrew Horrell, 14. Lelia Masaga, 13. Charlie Ngatai, 12. Richard Kahui, 11. Aseali Tikoirotuma, 10. Aaron Cruden, 9. Brendon Leonard, 8. Fritz Lee, 7. Sam Cane, 6. Liam Messam (c), 5. Brodie Retallick, 4. Michael Fitzgerald, 3. Ben Tameifuna, 2. Hika Elliot, 1. Pauliasi Manu. Substitutes: 16. Rhys Marshall, 17. Michael Kainga, 18. Nick Crosswell, 19. Tanerau Latimer, 20. August Pulu, 21. Gareth Anscombe, 22. Tim Nanai-Williams.